Diet & Life Style Advice
Eat Right For Cancer Prevention
In our daily diet, foods and drinks have a powerful impact on our health, that include heart disease, diabetes and risk for cancer. There are no magic food or diet to prevent cancer, However food habit & lifestyle factors can make a difference in lowering your risk of developing cancer. Please follow this guidelines by adopting the right eating habit.
1. Eat a healthy diet. with an emphasis on plant-based foods
- Eat mostly foods of plant origin including wholegrains, fruits and vegetables, beans and legumes.
- Eat 5 servings or 2.5 cups of fruits and vegetables a day.
- Choose phytochemicats-rich foods, which are Antioxidant compound, found in plants that give protective effects from Tissue Injuries, Cancer and ensure Health
2. Avoid Red meat or processed meats
- Fried foods, spicy foods, soft drinks with added sugar that can cause weight gain these are less nourishing and not cancer- protective foods.
- Omit red meat and processed meats as research suggests these foods may increase risk of Gastrict Cancer, Colon Cancer, Rectal Cancer.
3. Stay active
- Physical inactivity is associated with weight gain that increases risk of cancer.
- Staying active may reduce inflammation.
- 30 minutes of moderately paced walking on at least 5 days per week maintains weight and physical fitness.
4. Maintaining a healthy weight
- Obesity is a state of low grade inflammation that can
precipitate free radical production, cell damage due to overproduction of pro-inflammatory molecules. In general 20% of all cancers such as Breast Cancer, Colorectal Cancer and Esophageal Cancer are related to obesity.
- Ideal Body Mass Index (BMI for cancer risk reduction is 21-23kg/m2.
Making Healthy Food Choices
- Lots of nonstarchy Vegetables and Fruits
- Whole-grain foods
- Fish 2 to 3 times a week
- Lean chicken of lean meet 2 times a week
- Remove skin from chicken and turkey
- Nonfat dairy products yoguand cheese
- Water, unsweetened tea, coffee, and calorie-free “diet” drinks
Healthy Food Habits
Ensure Cancer Prevention
- Healthy food habits can ensure Cancer Prevention means keeping track of what you eat and drink.
- Eat a variety of foods small portions several times a day
- Be sure to check food labels for Calorie, Carbohydrate, Cholesterol, Saturated fat, Trans Fat and Sodium
- Match your food habit with your activity level